This is the official studio policy of B7 Music Studio LLC (“B7 Music Studio” or “I”). Any person taking lessons through B7 Music Studio must agree to the terms below. In the case of a minor, their legal guardian agrees to these terms on their behalf. For the sake of clarity, I will simply refer to these parties as students, whether they are representing themselves or are represented by a legal guardian.
This policy replaces any previous policies, and is in effect from September 1st, 2017, through August 31st, 2018.
1. Students must file an annual enrollment form to take any lessons.
Private information will not be shared with third parties.
1. Payments are invoiced a month in advance, and due within 30 days. Overdue balances incur a 10% late fee.
2. Payment can be made by check, cash (no change provided), or online by credit card.
1. Students register for the teaching year. A full calendar of the teaching year is available on my website and by request.
IV. EARLY TERMINATION
1. Any student terminating lessons must give me 30 days' written notice. Lessons will be billed through that time period (itemized), any remaining lessons will not be billed.
V. GROUP LESSONS
1. Approximately every nine weeks (see calendar for specifics) I will teach group lessons instead of individual lessons. These lessons will last one hour and be taught in groups of 3-6 students.
2. Students will be notified at least 12 days before any week of group lessons of an online schedule. They are required to fill this schedule out within 5 days. I will send all students their group lesson time at least 5 days before that week of group lessons begins.
3. Lesson rates are not adjusted for group lesson weeks – whatever a student is charged for a private lesson is what they are charged for a group lesson.
4. a. Students whose schedule is not submitted in time may not be able to attend a lesson that week.
4. b. I do reserve the option to schedule individual students outside of group lessons, if I deem their situation unsuited to group lessons.
1. There will be a music video project in the fall. All students are expected to participate.
2. There will be a recital in the spring, in early June. All students are expected to participate.
VII. MISSED LESSONS
1. Missed lessons are not refunded.
2. If students have a conflict, they can use the Swap List (see “Swap List” section below) and try to find another student to swap lessons with for that week.
3. I cannot usually change regular lesson times during the year, so please plan ahead and consider potential conflicts. If you cannot make the lesson time, you are still responsible for giving 30 days' notice of termination.
VIII. CANCELED LESSONS
1. I will attempt to reschedule lessons that I have to cancel.
2. If it is not possible to reschedule, the lesson(s) will be refunded.
IX. SWAP LIST
1. This list is for the purpose of swapping lesson day and time for one lesson with another student, when a conflict arises.
2. Online access to the list will be given only to those who give me permission to put their name and phone number on it. It will then be up to the student to call other students/parents and arrange to ‘swap’ a lesson for the lesson that they cannot attend.
3. Please inform me of the swap so I am prepared for the correct student.
1. I am not a childcare service, and am not responsible for students before or after their lesson time, nor at any time if they decide to leave. Parents are expected to stay in the hall, waiting area, or in the studio.
2. Parents are welcome to sit in on their child's lessons. If they do sit in, they should make an effort not to conduct themselves in a distracting way.
3. Due to space limitations, parents cannot currently sit in on group lessons.
XI. VIDEO RECORDING
1. A video surveillance system will be used in the studio where lessons are being provided.
2. The video obtained from this system will not be used for any purposes other than evaluating the effectiveness of the music instruction being provided and safety concerns. Under no circumstances, will the videotape be shown to third parties without the consent of students (in the case of minors, their legal guardians) or pursuant to a court order.
1. Students should be punctual for their lessons. Lessons will not be extended because of a late arrival.
2. If materials used regularly in lessons (assignment book and lesson book) are forgotten, I reserve the right to cancel the lesson without refunding it or making it up at another time.
3. Students are expected to dress professionally and modestly.
4. I expect students to practice an average of 20 minutes per day, 6 days per week. If the practicing the week before a lesson was significantly less than that, I may ask the student to simply use their lesson time to practice. Teaching a student who has not practiced is neither productive nor enjoyable.
1. Students need an appropriate instrument in their home to develop proper technique and tone. Learning at ANY level is severely impeded by an inadequate instrument.
2. If it is an electric piano, it must be full size (88 keys), have weighted keys, and a sustain pedal.
3. If it is an acoustic piano, it must be in good physical condition (no dead notes, broken ivory on the keys, etc.) and regularly tuned (preferably once or twice a year).
3. For lessons in electronic music, students need a laptop and a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
1. Official communication will take place via email or postal mail. Students are responsible for checking their email regularly.
2. Please refrain from calling the business phone between 8PM and 8AM.
XV. IRREGULAR LESSONS
1. Irregular lessons are offered as an alternative to regular weekly lessons.
2. Irregular lessons are only offered during morning hours (before 3:30pm), and should be scheduled and confirmed with me.
3. Discounts do not apply to irregular lessons.
4. Irregular lessons must be canceled 24 hours in advance, otherwise I will expect them to be payed.
5. Payment must be provided as cash or check at the beginning of each lesson.
1. Any changes to the policy will be emailed to you at least 30 days before they take effect. By electing to continue lessons, you agree to these changes.